Are you feeling frustrated, getting angry or being abusive towards your family?

  • Do you boss your family around?
  • Do you yell, or make threats, to get what you want?
  • Does your family sometimes feel scared of you?
  • Do you hurt the people you love?
  • Do you worry you'll end up alone because of your behaviour?

This website is for men who have been violent, abusive or controlling towards family members and want to change their behaviour.

Try this Calming Exercise

When you start to feel frustrated


  • Breath slowly
  • Slowly move away from the other person
  • Roll and drop your shoulders
  • Look at something on the ground

Think Safe

  • Respect the Safety Notice or Intervention Order
  • Stay out of trouble
  • Breaking the law will make things worse

Act Safe

  • If there is anything you do not understand speak to a:
    • Police Officer
    • Court Registrar
    • Lawyer
  • Contact services that can help

Useful Tips

Under the Victorian Government's Family Violence Protection Act 2008 Family violence is:

(a) behaviour by a person towards a family member of that person if that behaviour:

  • is physically or sexually abusive; or
  • is emotionally or psychologically abusive; or
  • is economically abusive; or
  • is threatening; or
  • is coercive; or
  • in any other way controls or dominates the family member and causes that family member to feel fear for the safety or wellbeing of that family member or another person;


(b) behaviour by a person that causes a child to hear or witness, or otherwise be exposed to the effects of, behaviour referred to in paragraph (a).

Give yourself time for things to settle down
  • Read the conditions on your Safety Notice or Intervention Order
  • Know what you can and cannot do
  • Stick to the rules
  • If you break the rules there will be legal consequences
Children are hurt by family violence
  • Put children first
  • Children need to feel safe


St Kilda Legal Service

Area Served: Free legal service to residents in the cities of Port Phillip, Stonnington and some parts of Bayside and Glen Eira.
Location: 161 Chapel Street, St Kilda
Phone: 9534 0777

Monash Oakleigh Legal Service

Area Served: No boundaries
Location: 60 Beddoe Ave, Clayton North
Phone: 9905 4336

PCLC Bentleigh

Area Served: Anyone who lives, works or studies in the cities of Frankston, Glen Eira, Kingston, Casey and Shires of Mornington Peninsula and Cardinia.
Location: 82 Brady Rd, Bentleigh East
Phone: 9570 8455

Victoria Legal Aid (Melbourne Office)

Legal information and referral in English and other languages.
Area Served: Inner south eastern region
Location: 350 Queen St, Melbourne
Phone: 9269 0120
Phone: 1800 677 402

Moorabbin Justice Centre (MCV)

Specialist Family Violence Service Registrar and Family Violence Respondent Worker
Location: 1140 Nepean Hwy, Highett 3190
Phone: 90908000


Peninsula Community Legal Centre (PCLC)

Area Served: Cities of Frankston, Kingston, Glen Eira, Casey and Shires of Mornington Peninsula and Cardinia.
PCLC Frankston (Head Office)
Location: 441 Nepean Hwy, Frankston
Phone: 9783 3600

PCLC Rosebud

Location: 1375 Point Nepean Road Rosebud
Phone: 59812422

Victoria Legal Aid - (Frankston Office)

Area Served: Peninsula Region
Location: Corner O'Grady Ave & Dandenong Rd, Frankston
Phone: 9784 5222

Frankston Magistrates' Court (MCV)

Specialist Family Violence Service Registrar and Family Violence Respondent Worker
Location: 15 Fletcher Rd, Frankston
Phone: 9784 5777

South East

Victoria Legal Aid

Free Phone Advice Line
Call: 1300 792 387
During business hours

PCLC Cranbourne

Area Served: Cities of Casey and Shire of Cardinia also- Frankston, Kingston, Glen Eira and Mornington Peninsula Shire
Location: Suite 12, 33-39 High St, Cranbourne
Phone: 9570 8455 For an appointment

Victoria Legal Aid (Dandenong Office)

Location: 1st Floor, 9-15 Pultney St Dandenong
Phone: 9767 7111

Magistrates Court Victoria Dandenong

Specialist Family Violence Service Registrar and Family Violence Respondent Worker
Location: Cnr Pultney & Foster St's Dandenong
Phone: 9767 1300

24/7 Intake for crisis accommodation

Phone: 1800 825 955

To speak to a housing & support worker.

The 1800 number will direct you to a service closest to you,

or if the call is outside business hours, it will be directed to

Salvation Army Crisis Services

If you are allowed to contact your partner
  • Be polite
  • No swearing
  • Listen to your partner
  • Wait for your partner to finish talking
  • When you talk be calm and well-mannered
When responding to TXTs, Facebook, emails, twitter & blogs:
  • Wait before you answer
  • Take time to think
  • Write a polite, non-agressive response
  • Then wait 5 minutes
  • Read your message again before you send it
  • No hacking into your partner's Facebook account

Using smart phone or GPS tracking on your partner will violate the terms of your Safety Notice or Intervention Order.

Stay calm and don't give in to anger, you are responsible for what you do.

Alcohol and Drugs will only add to the problem and you are still responsible for any actions you take while under the influence.

Bayside: Bayside Integrated Services

Phone: 1800 229 263

Frankston/ Mornington Peninsula: FaMDAS

Phone: 1300 665 781

South Eastern Melbourne: SECADA

Phone: 1800 142 536

Statewide Intake & Assessment Service: Directline

Phone: 1800 888 236

Statewide LGBTI Intake & Assessment Service: Vic. AIDS Council Starhealth

Phone: 1800 229 263

General Information: 132 468

Online support services:

Phone Self Service: 136 240

Need Help? Contact a Men's Behaviour Change Group

Frankston, Mornington Peninsula area
Peninsula Health Community Health
1300 665 781

Port Phillip, Stonnington area
Star Health
9684 4281

Dandenong, Casey and Cardinia area
Relationships Australia Victoria
5911 5400
for Group Work or Men's Case Management Program that provides individual support with homelessness, drug and alcohol use and mental health issues

Bayside, Kingston, Stonnington area
Family Life
8599 5433

The Orange Door
Family Violence Safety and Support Centre
1800 319 353
Can assist men with information and referrals to family violence intervention services in Bayside Peninsula area

For all other regions
Men's Referral Service
Telephone counselling also available.
7 days a week, 9am to 9pm.
1300 766 491

Cultural healing option for Indigenous men
VACCA (Victoria Aboriginal Child Care Agency)
8796 0700

For Multicultural men
inTouch Multicultural Centre Against Family Violence
1800 755 988

Family Violence also happens in Same Sex Relationships
If so, you can contact -
Thorne Harbour Health
1800 134 840
for a range of support services including:
Revisioning Group for same sex attracted men

Phone a help line
Men's Referral Service - 1300 766 491
7 days a week, 9am to 9pm
MensLine - 1300 789 978